Sofija Stefanovic hosts a celebration of immigration!
Each month, at one of New York's finest venues, some fish-out-of-water tell true tales from their lives. Hear anecdotes about language barriers, cultural missteps, rumbles, romance, and more! From addresses to the President, to songs about first kisses, the evening is set to be one of worldly proportions.
This September, uncensored on our stage, we bring you:
– Matt Huynh (artist, illustrator, comic creator)
– Tanwi Nandini Islam (author of Bright Lines and founder of Hi Wildflower beauty and fragrance)
– Dina Nayeri (author of Refuge)
– Françoise Mouly (art editor of The New Yorker)
– Julio Torres (of Saturday Night Live)
... with a special surprise from Viet Thanh Nguyen (author of The Sympathizer)
And music from violinist Michelle Ross
In a multicultural world that harbors some strong anti-immigration feelings, being a newcomer can be uncomfortable, hilarious, and weird. But it also makes for some great stories.
Come for the stories, leave with some feelings – and enjoy drinks, laughs and cries in between.
Created by Sofija Stefanovic @sstefanovic
Produced by Trish Nelson’s BanterGirl @BanterGirlSTW
Our programmer-at-large is Michaela McGuire @michaelamcguire